Super easy chicken strips that are healthy for kids and quick to make. This ridiculously tasty baked chicken strips recipe is worth switching from store bought.
I know a lot of parents out there are like me, you want your kids to have healthy food but inevitably you are always time poor. Sometimes though you just need those little time savers that your kids will still eat. Enter this ridiculously tasty baked chicken strips recipe.
‘Ridiculously tasty baked chicken strips recipe’
Now, before I came up with this recipe I spent a good amount of time looking in the grocery stores for chicken strips and chicken nuggets in the freezer section. Now, there were some good options, but time and time again I found that I was seeing ingredients I just didn’t recognise. Or worse, that I was seeing sugar as a key ingredient. Oh, and let’s be honest, they are pretty bland.
To make these wonderful baked chicken strips you need to start with good quality chicken breasts. I opt for some lovely organic ones from the local shop, as they don’t have as much water weight so will not largely keep their shape when cooked. After cutting them into the size I like, I marinate them in some tangy Greek yoghurt before breading them with a combination of breadcrumbs and crushed corn flakes. Finally, a little brush of melted garlic butter before putting them in the oven.
This baked chicken strips recipe works for a couple of reasons. Firstly, they taste amazing and I know my kids love them. Secondly, you can feel confident as a parent that they are eating well and you know what they are actually eating. Finally, you can mass produce them, so they are ready from the freezer when you need them. I brush them with butter and then freeze on a parchment covered pan before placing in a more freezable container. If you do this, just add an extra 10min (or so) to the cooking time and ensure they are cooked throughout before serving.
For fun, this post has been shared on Fiesta Friday!
Drinks – For kids, good’ol milk. Or some sparkling lemonade.
Music – Not sure on this one, maybe some bluegrass.
Baked Chicken Strips
- 1 kg Boneless chicken breasts cut into strips
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 Lemon – Juice and zest
- 2 1/4 tbsp Garlic powder
- 2 tbsp Onion powder
- 2 tsp Salt
- 3 cups Crushed corn flakes
- 3 tbsp Whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp Chopped fresh thyme
- 6 tbsp Unsalted butter
- Add the chicken strips to a gallon size zip top bag. Pour the yogurt, salt, lemon juice and zest, 2 tbsp garlic powder and 1 1/2 tbsp onion powder over the chicken. Toss well, cover and refrigerate 60 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Line two baking sheets with parchment.
- Add the crushed cornflakes, flour, thyme, and a pinch of salt to a clean bowl. Stir to combine.
- Remove each piece of chicken from the yogurt, and dredge through the crumbs. Gently press to ensure the mix sticks! Place on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat until all the chicken has been used. Melt together the butter with the rest of the onion powder and garlic powder with a pinch of salt. Brush the chicken generously with warm butter.
- If you are going to freeze, do this now and then bag. Otherwise, spread the chicken out onto the baking sheet. Make sure not to crowd your sheet, if necessary use two baking sheets. Transfer to the oven and bake for 15 minutes, then flip the chicken over and continue cooking another 10 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with dipping sauce of choice and some steamed frozen vegetables for a delicious healthy dinner!
ALSO GOOD FOR A CROWD
Healthy Crispy Chicken Sandwich
Healthy Air Fryer French Fries – (Namely Marley)
I love these! I can feel the crunch as I type, and I know that the yogurt and lemon would make them extra zingy! Fiesta Friday thanks you for sharing!
The industrial frozen chicken strips are a little scary. These look amazing and you know they’re made with quality chicken. Plus they’re baked, not fried. I bet the kids loved them! And the adults too. As for the accompanying music, what about Chicken Shack Boogie? 🙂
The industrial frozen chicken strips are a little scary. These look amazing and you know they’re made with quality chicken. Plus they’re baked, not fried. I bet the kids loved them! And the adults too. As for the accompanying music, what about Chicken Shack Boogie? ?
We’ve always made our own chicken strips for our family – the kids do not even know what frozen strips are lol. These look delicious, I love that you used corn flakes!
Dawn - Girl Heart Food says
Nothing like making from scratch! These look so crunchy and delicious and because they’re on the healthier side I wouldn’t mind eating a little extra 😉