A creamy with a burst of citrus this super easy cheats cheesecake is a dessert that will amaze your guests.
Ok, so July is a month I love. Firstly it means school holidays, which I naturally loved growing up. Second, it was always rowing season growing up. I used to love going down to the lake for practice or even a team road trip (my former abs miss this too). Finally, it was hot. The type of days you would mind getting out ice cream, or tucking into something nice and cool – and water gun fights, can’t forget those.
On both sides of the Atlantic, we seem to be having some really overly hot weather. So when you are making desserts, the last thing you really want to be doing is turning on your oven! Enter my super easy cheats cheesecake. All the creaminess with a little burst of citrus and a savory biscuit base.
Super Easy Cheats Cheesecake
Now while I call this a ‘cheats cheesecake’, truth be told, there isn’t any cheese in it. I’ve combined the digestive crumb from cheesecake with a creamy lemon posset. It may have been a bit of an experiment, but let me tell you it works and is ridiculously tasty!
It’s also deceptively simple to make. You ingredients consist of cream, sugar, digestive biscuits, butter, and a lemon. That’s it!
British Cream vs American Cream
One thing I keep getting tripped up with is the difference in ingredients between the UK and North America. Take cream for example, in the UK you get single cream and double cream (as well as extra thick double cream). So for this recipe, I’m calling for double cream, which if my research is correct is the same as heavy cream in North America!
The butter is also using the ever so delicious Kerry Gold, which I know you can get in the USA as well. Let’s be honest, it is really good!
THE TOOLS YOU NEED
For this cheats cheesecake you only need a few key tools. You can read more about this in our ‘Set up your kitchen’ post.
FROM THE BASICS
To make this feast you will need a few basic tools:
- A good bowl
- Good knife
- A saucepan – This one by Calphalon is brilliant, and a great investment.
SOME EXTRA BITS TOO
- Lemon Zester
- Ramekins – I love these coastal blue ones
Finally, this recipe is actually part of a larger collection – my Cool Chicken Feast. Our Feasts are like a mini magazine, with a menu, entertainment suggests and a unified shopping list and instruction guide. Designed to make your life easier and get you wowing people from your own kitchen. Best of all, it’s FREE! You can download it now in our Library.
Don’t have the password? No worries, that too is free. Just join the Feast by signing up here!
If you like this, try these!
- Mint Tea – by Darn Good Veggies
- Moon Mist Ice cream – by fellow Nova Scotia at JEET
- No Churn Blueberry Cinnamon Ice Cream – by No Spoon Necessary
Drink – tea, even in the heat this mint tea recipe is brilliant
Music – keep it upbeat this summer!
Super Easy Cheats Cheesecake
- 2 Lemons
- 600 ml Double Cream/Heavy Cream
- 150 g white sugar
- 100 g Unsalted butter
- 200 g Digestive biscutis
- Blitz the 200g digestive biscuits in a food processor to turn into fine crumbs. Add together with the 100g melted unsalted butter and blitz until combined. Divide the biscuit mixture among the bowls, and tap down with the back of a spoon to compress it and help firm it up.
- Place the 600ml double cream and 150g sugar into a large pan over a low heat and bring to the boil slowly. Boil for three minutes, then remove from the heat and allow to cool. Add the lemon juice and zest and whisk well, and then carefully pour on top of the biscuit base. Let chill in the fridge for at least 3-4 hours until firm.