Black Forest Barbecue Sauce
Powered by cherries and red fruit: the delicious, sweet spicy and tangy black forest barbecue sauce. I like this on chicken and burgers, but anything your barbecue will probably be made better with a sauce like this.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time45 mins
Total Time1 hr
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 brown onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups passata or 2.5 cups of crushed tomatoes
- 1 cups roughly chopped cherries
- 1 cup other mixed berries such as blueberries, raspberries, blackberries and redcurrants.
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Hot smoked paprika powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
In a large, heavy pot melt butter and add onions. When onions are soft add garlic.
Once you can smell the garlic in the pan, add all other ingredients. I start with the cherries and other fruit so they break down a bit first.
Simmer for at least 40min, although I found longer better. Stir to ensure it isn’t catching on the bottom of the pan. The point is to reduce the moisture content.
Use a hand blender to make it smooth. If should have a dark colour to it, and be thick and cling to the spoon, and without any excess water.