Brighten up your table with this deceptively simple and perfect for brunch, blueberry spinach salad, with crunchy nuts, savoury feta, beautiful herbs and a simple light maple balsamic dressing.
The Perfect Sunday Brunch Blueberry Spinach Salad
When I sat down to plan the Summer Brunch menu feast, I had to think back to all the brunch’s I had been to before. As most people know, brunch needs to have both rich and savoury with equal measures of light and fresh. I believe it is why mimosas were invented, to give that measure of light and fresh to brunch (ok, and ensure that Grandma REALLY enjoys brunch too).
So, looking in my fridge I saw that I had some spinach, some feta that needed to be used. A start, but not a proper salad. So, to the shop to see what else we could be had. In the end, I got some juicy blueberries, some whole almonds and a bit of mint.
Putting all these ingredients into a bowl with a light dressing of balsamic, lemon juice, a bit of maple syrup and some EVOO (optional) and viola. You end of up with a vibrant bowl which is the perfect accompaniment for any rich food.
How to make a salad a meal
This salad is great on its own, but for a bit more heft you could add some grilled chicken for more protein. Or, add some grains like freekeh or bulgar wheat.
How to customise a salad
This is a great easy salad to mix flavours with. You could swap the blueberries for strawberries, or almonds for roasted hazelnuts or cashews. Just make sure the fruits are fresh!
How does this Blueberry Feta Salad pair with other foods?
Check it out with the Summer Brunch Menu, lots of great recipes and entertainment ideas.
THE TOOLS YOU NEED
For this Blueberry Spinach
From the Basics
- A good salad bowl – That’s it!
Tips for making
Fresh or Frozen fruit in a blueberry spinach salad?
While I’m a big proponent of using frozen fruit in many instances, this isn’t one of them. You want fruit as fresh as you can get it. I like a good tart berry myself, and you will only get this without the excess liquid from fresh berries.
If you like this, try these
- Roasted Asparagus Salad with Poached Eggs – Seasonal Cravings
- Blueberry, melon, feta, fruit salad stacks – Half Baked Harvest
- Strawberry Spinach Salad With Poppy Seed Dressing – Seasons and Supper
On its own, I like this salad with a glass of ice water. Simple really!
I last made this when I had a kid-free day, so go with the Morning Kitchen playlist!
Blueberry Spinach Salad
- 250 g Spinach Baby is best, but not a necessity, what ever you can find fresh
- 50 g Feta crumbled
- 1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Maple syrup
- 150 g Blueberries
- 50 g Almonds Roasted are great, but never salted
- 8-10 leaves Fresh mint torn
- 1/2 tsp EVOO Optional
- Place the balsamic vinegar, lemon juice and maple syrup and EVOO if using in your salad bowl. Add crumbled feta, blueberries and ½ the almonds, finishing with the spinach and torn mint. Toss carefully to combine, so that all the dressing is well dispersed. Rain those remaining almonds over top.