While I slowly lick my wounds over the Brexit vote, I took the opportunity during a spat of rare British sunshine to enjoy some BBQ. On Monday, our household has tried to embrace the idea of Meatless Monday, so we didn’t want to race out to the shop to get some ground beef. Instead, we went for some lovely squeaky marinated halloumi.
Halloumi is the perfect grilling cheese, as its high melting point means it is unlikely to melt quickly. Just grilled on its own, it is perfectly delicious. Actually, I lie. It is very delicious.
In this case, we wanted some sliders, so counter the rich butter buns we needed the halloumi to punch above its salty weight. So we marinated it. A combination of oil, lemon juice and herbs and garlic did the trick. Especially as it gave the cheese a light zingy tang.
‘Putting the marinated halloumi sliders togethers’
Putting now marinated halloumi sliders together, start with perfect butter buns. Grill’em so they have some texture, and spread on the bottom with a bit of hot pepper jelly. Top with the grilled halloumi, some fresh tomato and lettuce. Make a lot of em, pile them high, and see them disappear from the tray!
Marinated Halloumi Sliders
- 1 package Drained halloumi cut into half-inch slices.
- 4 Tbs Olive Oil
- 2 Tbs Lemon juice
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 clove of garlic pounded into a paste
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ red onion cut into thin slices.
- Put all ingredients, except for halloumi, into a bowl. Whisk vigorously to combine.
- Place halloumi slices into the mix, and leave to marinate for at least 45min.
- When ready, preheat a bbq or grill pan. Slightly brush with oil, and place the halloumi slices directly onto the grill. Wait until suitably browned, and then flip.
- To serve, place in some mini butter buns, top with some spicy pepper jelly, crisp lettuce and tomatoes. Serve quickly.