I love this time of the year, lots and friends and family, plus lots of entertaining. So, this knäckebröd are the perfect biscuits for cheese from your brie to cheddar. Top them with other items a great little bite.
I absolutely love this time of year, with get-togethers with family and friends I really feel like a kid at Christmas time. This year is obviously slightly different, with two small people in the house, the reality is that we simply cannot do huge amount of entertaining. I can however live vicariously through my family back in Canada who are hosting others at Christmas.
The most popular items at any Christmas party is undoubtedly the cheese station. Growing up, this is tended to be cubes of Kraft cheddar cheese mixed with some form of pepperoni and Ritz crackers. Nowadays it seems everyone has moved past that 90s trend of mass-produced processed food. In its place, we now have imported brie and camembert, smoked gouda and cave aged cheddar, Blue cheese as far as the eye can see, and occasionally a little bundle of beautiful burrata.
However, what you put this cheese on is still a matter of debate, in my household at least. Sure there is the standard water biscuit, melba toast or a baguette sliced thinly. Then you have the artisan crackers, which while unique seem to cost as much as the cheese. So I like making these knäckebröd, which I humbly contend are indeed the perfect biscuits for cheese.
What makes these the perfect biscuits for cheese is their simplicity and the roughness. They are not perfectly shaped as a water biscuit, and they aren’t stuffed with special herbs and spices. But that is their strength. They are a simple, unassuming, crispy cracker that will compliment nearly any cheese its paired with. Plus, they are exceedingly simple to make I will undoubtedly have your guests asking where you got them from.
So, this Christmas season, please host a party because I cannot. When you make your cheeseboard, have a go at making knäckebröd, my perfect biscuits for cheese.
Knäckebröd – The Perfect Biscuits for Cheese
Knäckebröd - Perfect Biscuits for Cheese
- 100 ml Double cream at room temperature
- 150 ml Warm water
- 150 g Strong bread flour
- 150 g Strong whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Active dried yeast
- 1 tsp Caraway seeds - lightly crushed
- Mix all dry ingredients (except seeds) together, and then mix and add the cream/water. Mix to combine, and then dust the counter and knead dough for about 5min. Add more flour if too wet.
- Cut dough into four, roll into a ball and then cover and let rise for 30min.
- Heat the oven to 200°C (fan - 20°C higher for non fan).
- Using a rolling pin, and dusted surface, roll the dough into a very thin circle. If you can, make a small hole in the centre and this will let you get an even wider base. Place on a parchment lined pan and sprinkle with lightly crushed seeds. Prick the surface of the dough with a fork to help reduce the likelihood of extra rising in the oven.
- Bake for 5 minutes and then turn over and bake for about another 3 minutes or until dry and hard. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Repeat with other dough balls.
- Top with your favourite cheese, and crisp pickled veggies or chutneys.