An amazing moist healthy chicken sandwich recipe, with subtle spices and a cool cilantro lime sauce drizzled over the top. The Cool Chicken sandwich is a winner on any table.
The grocery stores in the UK have been on a bit of a Latin American bent recently. You can get spices for ‘Brazilian’ chicken or ‘Cuban’ beef. Never mind the fact that beef is actually rarely eaten in Cuba any more, or that these are essentially just modified versions of their old taco mixes, at the very least there is some recognition that food from this part of the world is more than just ‘tex-mex’.
So, when I went to create a chicken sandwich for the summer, I wanted to come up with something that was a little bit more in the Latin American feel. After some experimentation, the result is an absolute cracker. This sandwich has a great herby taste with a subtle heat, that really come through when you grill it. But to really make this sandwich stand out, you gotta top it with my Cilantro Lime sauce. The combination smacks you with spice, herbs, heat and citrus all in one bite.
While it started off as a bit of an experiment in the kitchen, it turned out to be absolutely delicious. Not only
The tools you need
For this cool chicken
From the Basics
To make this feast you will need a few basic tools:
- Ziplock bags
- A sharp knife
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- A Cutting board
Some extra bits too
- Grill Pan or BBQ
- Hand blender
Useful tips during preparation
There are a few things I would suggest you think about if you make this recipe. First is marinating the chicken. Chicken is a great protein, but it doesn’t need endless marinating to take on flavour. I’ve suggested only about 30min, and as it is really a paste you wanna leave that stuff on the chicken. It will be baked on flavour! Second, the Cilantro Lime sauce is really awesome, but it can also be made a bit in advance so you aren’t trying to do everything at once.
Finally, this recipe is actually part of a larger collection – my Cool Chicken Feast. Our Feasts are like a mini magazine, with a menu, entertainment suggests and a unified shopping list and instruction guide. Designed to make your life easier and get you wowing people from your own kitchen. Best of all, it’s FREE! You can download it now in our Library.
Don’t have the password? No worries, that too is free. Just join the Feast by signing up here!
If you like this, try these!
- Baked Chicken Strips
- Healthy Chicken Sandwich
- Buttermilk Fried Chicken Sandwich (from a fellow Atlantic Canadian – Dawn at Girl Heart Food)
- Fried Chicken and Biscuits (from David at Spiced)
- Chicken and Biscuits with Hot Honey (from the lovely
Honestly, a good beer is perfect here. Looking for something different? What about this beer cocktail?
Check out the Upbeat Kitchen Playlist over in Music
Cool Chicken Sandwich
- 6 Cloves of garlic
- 1/2 tbsp Dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tbsp Smoked paprika
- 4 tbsp Ground cumin
- 2 tsp Fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup Soy sauce
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/4 cup White vinegar
- 6 Chicken breasts You can flatten these to make them a bit more uniform if you want
- 6 Kaiser rolls
Cilantro Lime sauce
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup Greek yoghurt
- 2 Cloves of Garlic finely grated
- 1/2 bunch Cilantro Chopped
- 2 Limes Zest and Juice
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 tsp Salt and pepper
Cool Chicken Sandwich
- Add the cumin, oregano, black pepper, soy sauce, 3 Tbsp of olive oil, vinegar, paprika, and 6 cloves of garlic to a food processor. Blitz until smooth. Place the sauce into a ziplock bag along with the six chicken breasts. Place in the fridge for at least 30min before cooking.
- Ensure your buns are ready to fill. You may want to drizzle with a bit of oil and toast lightly.
- On a grill, or in the oven, cook the chicken for 5-7min per side, until it reads 165F in the thickest part. Place in buns with shredded lettuce. Top with sauce.
Cilantro Lime Sauce
- Take 3⁄4 cup of chopped cilantro and add 1⁄2 cup Mayo, 1⁄2 cup Plain Greek Yoghurt, 2 cloves of grated garlic as well as the juice and zest of the two limes. Mix this by hand, or for a finer sauce, blitz with a hand blender for 10 seconds. If it is too thick, add a bit more lime juice. Season with salt to taste. Place this is a small bowl with a spoon for serving.